I made Ooga Booga shirts for Kaden and my two nephews using a technique called reverse applique.
Here’s a great tutorial for the concept of reverse applique.
For the Ooga Booga shirts,
- Draw a picture of the monster on a piece of paper and cut it out. My monster was symmetrical (I folded the paper and cut out both sides at once.)
- Choose a contrasting fabric. I ironed a fabric stablilizer onto the back of this fabric.
- Follow the directions in this tutoria. I actually traced the image on my shirt and didn’t use the paper cutout while sewing.
- Now that you’re monster is all cut out, you need to add eyes. I cut out oval shaped eyes from fabric with stabilizer attached. I then added buttons to the eyes. I used the extra buttons that come with clothes.
- I had Ooga Booga fabric so I made a rectangle patch with that fabric using reverse applique.
You’re shirt is finished!
This is just one idea for reverse applique. Start simple and you’ll have so much fun.